Miranda's Mirador

View the complete tour Mediterranean Tour in Mahon with the BaladoDiscovery app for free on Android or iPhone/iPad

Miranda's Mirador

This public place with the name of Augusto Miranda y Godoy - soldier, politician and writer - father of the "Miranda Law" which, in 1915, allowed to provide the Spanish navy with its first submarines.


Miranda's Mirador

The surrounding landscape is wonderful from this mirador overseeing the port.


Miranda's Mirador

Just opposite, you can distinguish the Isla Pinto, an artificial island connected to the earth, created by the British in 1768 from an islet, this as a complement to a naval base built in 1708 in order to house a fleet of vessels.


Miranda's Mirador

Between 1786 and 1798, this base ensured the construction of over fifteen vessels. Owing to its natural situation, it is one of the safest and best protected locations in the port of Mahon; this location was incidentally used as a maintenance base for the boats from the British and Dutch fleet, and this long before the installation of the naval base built by the British.


Miranda's Mirador

In the early 19th century, while the island passed under the Spanish crown's dominion, Mahon's Dockyard then enjoyed a new popularity thanks to the creation of building sites, warehouses, powder magazines and deposit locations for the coal. In 1859, the activities of the base diversified. Military ships and merchant ships were built there.