Calvary

View the complete tour Once Upon a Time in the Western Laurentians with the BaladoDiscovery app for free on Android or iPhone/iPad

Calvary

A visit to the Huberdeau Calvary, designated as a heritage site in 1997, is worth the short detour. Access is via the main street by taking first Rue du Pont, then right on Rue Bellevue and left on Rue du Calvaire. A breath-taking landscape awaits you, as well as the surprising discovery of a religious site that remains the object of pilgrimage each year.


Calvary

We can see five stations of the Passion of Christ, a cross and a grotto of Notre-Dame-de-Lourdes. The Stations of the Cross are formed by 27 statues in bronzed cast iron created between 1910 and 1920 by Union Artistique Internationale de Vaucouleurs, in France (source: Bergeron-Gagnon Inc., heritage inventory of the Laurentides RMC, 2013).


Calvary

The priest Montfortain Pierre Cesbron built a Calvary in wood here in 1892. The structure was erected by the hard work of parishioners, who did it as a duty without pay. The Calvary was replaced by a new structure between 1910 and 1920, formed of the statues still on view. The Stations of the Cross is made up of only five stations, due to the transportation from France having taken place during WWI, when some of the ships involved were sunk (source: Bergeron-Gagnon Inc., heritage inventory of the Laurentides RMC, 2013).