Former general store

View the complete tour Once Upon a Time in the Western Laurentians with the BaladoDiscovery app for free on Android or iPhone/iPad

Rue Principale in Saint-Rémi

View of Rue Principale with the Hôtel Laurier in the foreground. The hotel was built in the period 1910-1930. The owner in those days was Hilaire Thomas.


Former hotel

This building with its mansard roof built between 1895 and 1910 was formerly the Hôtel du Peuple.


Former general store

This flat-roofed building dates from the early 20th century and formerly housed a general store on Route 323. The first shopkeeper was named John C. McLaughlin. Today, this heritage building houses an antique store full of old wares (source: Bergeron-Gagnon Inc., heritage inventory of the Laurentides RMC, 2013).


Former general store

Another general store was located on Rue Saint-Louis. In times past, on the second floor of this store, the owner had installed a small bowling alley for the amusement of locals.
(Référence photo: Bibliothèque et Archives nationales du Québec (BANQ)


The first church in Saint-Rémi

In 1892, the church with its bell tower beside it. The entire edifice was destroyed in one day by high winds.


Church of Saint-Rémi

In 1905-1906, a new church was designed by the architect Casimir St-Jean, who specialized in church architecture (source: Bergeron-Gagnon Inc., heritage inventory of the Laurentides RMC, 2013).


Interior of the church at Saint-Rémi

In the interior of the church in Saint-Rémi, above the high alter is a fresco by Georges Delfosse representing the baptism of King Clovis by Saint Rémi (source: Bergeron-Gagnon Inc., heritage inventory of the Laurentides RMC, 2013).