Located on the top of a mountain with spectacular 360-degree views over the surrounding countryside, the fire tower at Saint-Rémi-d'Amherst was erected in 1930. It was used to detect forest fires and was one of the last remaining in operation in Québec. In 1965 when it was closed down, it was being manned by Paul Galipeau (source: Bergeron-Gagnon Inc., heritage inventory of the Laurentides RMC, 2013).
Still in place today, the fire tower is a well-preserved piece of our heritage.
Access to the fire tower is via a specially built and maintained trail that can be reached from the parking lot on Chemin Saint-Louis. The hiking trail is 1.5 -km long and leads to a summit from where you can obtain spectacular 360-degree views over the surrounding countryside.
This is the ancestor of the fire tower, so to speak, before one was built on a local summit. It was located on top of a building on Rue Principale in the village of Saint-Rémi. The firefighters also used it for drying their hoses after a fire.