Mural by Nancy Bergeron
Patrice Létourneau and his brother Hubert arrived in the Legal area with their wives, Zénaïde and Elisabeth, in 1898-99. The two Létourneau families united and established a winter supply trail from Edmonton to Athabasca Landing in 1907. They brought pipes and supplies to the landing and, when the river’s ice broke, barges carried essential supplies across to the town Norman Wells in the Northwest Territories where oil had been discovered. When Louis Oscar Caron came to Legal in 1908, he joined the Létourneau business and his descendants now own Caron Transport in Alberta.