This quaint little building at 219 East Vermilion was once home to a book store but is now run by the Louisiana Crafts Guild and houses many treasures of Acadiana creativity.  The Sans Souci Gallery takes its name from Miss Edith Garland Dupré’s home on Cherry Street.

We are not sure when this cottage was built, but it has had many lives. It was a post office, an overnight inn, a tin smith, and a shoe repair store before it was sold to Mrs Frederick Nehrbass in the 1940s.

In partnership with Miss Garland Dupré, who was Registrar and head of the English Department at Southwest Louisiana Industrial Institute (now University of Louisiana at Lafayette), Ms. Nehrbass opened a book store in December 1943. Surrounded by modern buildings, the Sans Souci is made entirely of cypress. It has received many distinguished writers under its roof, among them: Frances Parkinson Keyes, T. Harry Williams, Irving Stone and Bennett Cert, founding member of Random House.