After arriving in Chibougamau in 1951, the parish priest, Fr. Vinette, was not pleased to see his flock spending time in local bars while there was still no church or school. With the help of some parishioners, he built the first chapel, which also served as a classroom. His sister, Thérèse, was his assistant, and the children’s teacher.
Later, with the Campbell Mine’s support, the priest had the Patro* built. When the little chapel was no longer big enough for all the parishioners, the Patro was used for religious services from 1954 to 1964.
* Patro: from the word patronage; a charitable organization that ensured the moral health of children and teenagers, in particular by organizing their leisure time.