MARTIN’S HAT SHOP
In 1915, Mr. John Martin, Sr. visited New Orleans to learn how to clean, block, and make hats.  Upon his return, he opened Martin’s Hat Shop in Freetown.  The original Cypress Street location was twice destroyed by fire.  In the early 1940s, Martin decided that Stewart Street would be the new location for his friendly neighborhood millinery shop.  John Martin, Jr. and his wife, Thelma, worked alongside Martin until his death. They spent many happy days in the store working, cajoling with customers and enjoying an occasional dance on the hat shop floor.  Thelma Martin carried the work of the hat shop into the 21st century, receiving orders from customers across America who sought her impeccable craftsmanship.  As of late there was still 15 customers on the roster of clients.

312 Stewart St. Martin Hat Shop. Contributing; ca. 1945. This is a one-story commercial storefront building set on a concrete slab and clad in corrugated metal (sides) and wood siding. The main roof is flat and covered in metal with a stepped front parapet. Architectural elements include fixed single wood windows flanking a multi lite and paneled central entry. This building retains strong integrity of design, workmanship, setting, location, materials, association, and feeling. 

314 Stewart St. Charles Victor House. Contributing; ca. 1880s. This single dwelling is a one-story building set on concrete piers and clad in wood siding. The main roof is a side gable covered in metal. A full-width porch is supported by 4 square columns. Other architectural elements include doublehung, 6 over 6 wood windows and original half lite and paneled wood doors with transoms. This building retains integrity of design, workmanship, setting, location, materials, association, and feeling.