French & English education

French & English education

Sources: Société d'histoire du Lac-Saint-Jean. F96 Famille Lachance.

St-Michael School, circa 1925

Société d'histoire du Lac-Saint-Jean. F1000. 

French & English education

We are across from the building where Riverbend’s children went to school.
In 1925, the first lessons were held in a temporary school, for both Catholic and Protestant children. In 1927, Saint-Michael School was opened, the first institution for Riverbend’s English-speaking Protestant children. It could accommodate 57 pupils. Following a request by English-speaking Catholic families, the school decided to also include their children. Then, a decision was made to found two school boards, one Catholic and one Protestant. Protestant children were moved to a new school, Riverbend High School, which could accommodate as many as one hundred students, some of them from Isle-Maligne. French-speaking children, for their part, had to go to Naudville to get their lessons in French.

During the 1980s, Riverbend High School was reoriented as a primary school for French-speaking children and named Arc-en-ciel school. A few years later, the institution was moved and the building became the La Bambinerie daycare. An extension was erected behind the old school to accommodate greater numbers of children.


Extract of
Alma Historical Tour | Riverbend

Alma Historical Tour | Riverbend image circuit

Presented by : Société d'histoire du Lac-Saint-Jean

Directions to get there

Download the BaladoDiscovery app (for Android and iOS) and access the largest network of self-guided tour experiences in Canada.