Welcome to the ancient village of Piopolis! In front of you rises a white cross which marks the location of the first village of Piopolis. The Old Village is where the Papal Zouaves who founded Piopolis settled when they arrived in 1871. This cross stands proudly in memory of the old village and the bravery of its Pioneers.
It is said that before the arrival of the settlers, the place was popular with Americans to come and look for wood. In the nocturnal silence, the sound of chains and oxen pulling logs could be heard from afar.
Where the cross now stands were the first buildings in the village when the Zouaves arrived. First, they built a small chapel just big enough to house the missionary priest who accompanied the Zouaves when they arrived in Piopolis and to celebrate masses. They subsequently installed a presbytery and its outbuildings, and finally the first church.
For several years, newcomers have built themselves along this path, which they have developed. Several businesses have also been established and developed along the road leading to Chemin de Bury. The village was first called Marston South in reference to the village further north, which is still called Marston today.
Although the location of the current village of Piopolis, on the edge of the lake, seems more logical to us today, the place initially chosen was strategic. It was seen as the ideal place to build a large city dedicated to Pope Pius IX, whom the Zouaves had served in Rome. The events will cause the village to move closer to the lake, and instead of becoming a large city in honor of the Pope, it will become a popular place for vacationing.
This stretch of road is now called the Old Village, but all the excitement that once was there has followed the village down to the lake. Now, there are a few residences, but above all an impressive landscape in all seasons.