A major deposit
In 1909, almost ten years after the opening of the Helen Mine, a large iron deposit was discovered between what is now called Dubreuilville and Wawa. In 1911-12, the Algoma Steel Corporation built a mine, smelter and village at this location. The mine closed in 1914, but was reopened in 1915. By 1916, the Magpie Mine's production far exceeded that of the Helen Mine. At its peak, the Magpie Mine employed over 225 people and the village itself had 600 residents.
The community consisted of 14 duplexes equipped with electricity, water and sewage, a luxury in those days. There were also three dormitories, a kitchen and a dining room for single men. To complete the picture, there was a small hospital, a school and a root house. By 1922, there was no more economically viable ore to extract and the mine ceased operations.