Goudreau Cemetery

Boo!

Long before the Dubreuil brothers arrived in Northern Ontario, this abandoned town was bustling with activity before becoming a ghost town with abandoned buildings... and this cemetery.

Rail spur

The village of Goudreau was first used as a railway spur for the Algoma Central Railway (ACR) in 1912. At that time there was only a small station and a few sectional houses for the workers. 

In the early 1920s, mining began to expand in the area. Goudreau quickly became a coveted drop-off and supply point for prospectors.

Goudreau at its peak

At its peak, Goudreau boasted a population of approximately 200 permanent residents. The community included a hotel, boarding houses, two stores and a garage.

Fools' gold

From the early 1900's, prospectors scoured the area for iron... and of course hoped to find gold as well!

These early explorers found pyrite, also known as fool's gold, which was transformed into sulfuric acid. This material had many uses, including the manufacture of explosives and fertilizer.

It was not until 1918 that the first traces of real gold were found at Goudreau.

The ACR

In 1912, the Algoma Central Railway (ACR) built a rail line through Goudreau.
The ACR was a popular mode of transportation.

It was used to transport people, wood products and minerals, some of which were destined for the United States after reaching Sault Ste. Marie. When completed in 1914, the line ran from Sault Ste. Marie to Hearst.

The Spanish flu

In 1914, the Spanish flu reached Goudreau. Several graves in the cemetery date from this time. After the pandemic, interest in gold increased, and the town grew with it.

Abandonment

Following World War II, the demand for gold dropped and the mine eventually closed.  Over time, residents left Goudreau and the town was eventually abandoned.



Share

On Facebook

On Twitter

With Messenger


Excerpt of
Historic Tour of Dubreuilville

View the complete tour with the BaladoDiscovery app for free on Android or iPhone/iPad