Farnham Training Centre

For more than a century

Sources: City of Farnham. Photo of the Monument erected at Place du Souvenir (Morts au Champ d’Honneur Memorial)

Farnham Training Center

Aerial view of the military camp.

Main Entrance

Photo of the gate that was at the main entrance.

Guard Walk

On Principale Street, photo dating from 1937.

The Mascot

The official mascot at the time, TEDDY, of the Farnham Military Camp.


Canon which was at the time at the Place du Souvenir.

Text version of the audio

NARRATOR (female voice)
You’re standing in the square known as Place du Souvenir, in front of the Morts au Champ d’Honneur memorial, honouring the Farnham soldiers who served at the front and died in the Great World Wars. For more than a century, the City of Farnham has been known for its Military Training Centre, located by the western entrance to the town. The centre played a key role in the different world military conflicts.

NARRATOR (male voice)
In the summer of 1910, “His Majesty King George the Fifth” purchased the first fields that would become, over the years, the Farnham Training Centre, the Farnham Garrison or the Farnham Camp. Over the following months, the cavalry and infantry training centre was opened here.

NARRATOR (female voice)
In 1918, at the end of World War I, the military camp closed and was used for non-military purposes. In 1919, the Dominion Experimental Farm, which had already been established on an adjacent property for a number of years, was allowed to use the existing camp property for producing cigar tobacco.

NARRATOR (male voice)
In the autumn of 1940, just a year after the onset of World War II, training resumed here. Did you know that Farnham was one of five internment camps for German prisoners and internees? The camp, called number 40A, opened in October 1940. Five years later, journalists were invited for the first time to visit the facilities and had the opportunity to talk to the prisoners. At that time, nearly four hundred German prisoners were held here, including six colonels.

NARRATOR (female voice)
At the end of the Second World War, the Federal Manpower Department reportedly sent Japanese nationals here to await their relocation. During this world conflict, the Farnham camp would receive more than 2800 internees, refugees and prisoners of war.

NARRATOR (male voice)
In 1960, the federal government considered building an airport on the site. Finally, the choice was made for the current site of the Mirabel airport. A few years later, in 1972, the land used and located on the territory of the Municipality of Sainte-Brigide d’Iberville was annexed to the City of Farnham.

Extract of
City of Farnham Historical Tour

City of Farnham Historical Tour image circuit

Presented by : Ville de Farnham

Get There

Download the BaladoDiscovery app (for Android and iOS) and access the largest network of self-guided tour experiences in Canada.