Yolande daughter of Louis-E. Paradis
in front of the store, around 1955.
Source: TCAC WN
In the mid-20 th century, roads were still made of dirt, electricity arrived around 1957, and few homes had telephone service. As such, the general store was a de facto emergency center and message office. On Sundays after mass, parishioners took advantage of the proximity of the Paradis General Store to stop by, chat and pick up their mail. When the municipality of Wentworth-North was created in 1958, the first meetings of the new council were held in the market’s back room while awaiting the construction of municipal offices.