This magnificent building, in the French Second Empire style, was built in 1903 by Joseph Hormidas Gariépy (1852-1927), a businessman, politician and strong advocate of French education. Originally from St. Lin, Quebec, Joseph Gariépy came to Edmonton alone to establish himself as a merchant and then brought his family with him in 1893.
His wife, Étudienne, took on the important task of raising the family while Joseph went into real estate. His partners included Joseph Chenier, Edmond Brosseau and Pierre Lessard.
Jospeh Gariépy was president of the Société Saint-Jean Baptiste of Edmonton for many years, and a separate school trustee for 25 years. Two of Joseph's sons, Wilfrid and Charles, were very active in the community. They worked as lawyers; Charles being appointed a judge later in life and Wilfrid serving his country in the Great War. Both served on the Edmonton school board and were involved in politics at the municipal, provincial and federal levels.
This building was sold to the Sisters of Providence of St. Vincent de Paul in 1923. It became a women's shelter called Rosary Hall, run by the Apadana Women’s Housing Society.