The Mansion House, around 1900.
The St. Lawrence River did not serve solely for the transportation of merchandise. As early as 1851, the steamer Rowland Hill, out of Quebec, began stopping at Cacouna with passengers coming for a saltwater cure. With this influx of tourists, Benjamin Dionne decided in 1852 to build a large establishment which he leased to several hotel operators over the years.
In 1911 Joseph Bélanger, who had made his fortune during the gold rush and thus earned the nickname “Monsieur Klondike”, bought the house and the hotel. Together, the two buildings were called Mansion House, and remained in the Bélanger family for 53 years. Unfortunately, the hotel burned down in January 1966.
Along the years, this hotel, built in 1852-1853, was called St.George’s Hotel, Jean’s Hotel, Kakouna Hotel and Mansion House (around 1890).
Musée du Bas-Saint-Laurent, Belle-Lavoie Collection