Good Hope Hall

Good Hope Hall 1880 Steward Gordon

Good Hope Hall in the 19th Century now Glen Armentor Law Firm / Good Hope Hall pendant le 19e siècle maintenant la firme d'avocat Glen Armentor.


Good Hope Hall 1880

The intersection of Stewart and Gordon Streets where Good Hope Hall is located served as an important nexus for the African American Community of the Freetown-Port Rico Historic District. It was surrounded by African American businesses and the homes of prominent African American residents and was a public venue for gathering. Principal investigators for the historic resources survey of the neighborhood were told that a weekly public street supper, open to all people and races, was sponsored by African American leaders at the corner of Stewart and Gordon. This supper continued into the 21st Century, though it has now discontinued.16 This intersection also served as the start of the parade of Lafayette’s first official organized African-American Mardi Gras krewe. In 1956, the Daily Advertiser reported the “the Negro Carnival Association” would have a parade beginning at the corner of Stewart and Gordon and proceeding on Gordon to Oak (now Jefferson) and on from there. Significantly, the organization chose for the assumed identities of its monarchs, Toussaint L’Ouverture, infamous leader of the eighteenth slave revolt in Saint Dominique (Haiti), and his wife Suzanne Simonné.


Salón de la Buena Esperanza( Good Hope Hall)

Anteriormente, parte de la plantación "Île Copal" perteneciente a Jean Mouton, o la  subdivisión registrada como adición Mouton, que se conoció como Freetown. Antes de la Guerra Civil y la de 1860, Freetown tenía una mezcla heterogénea de clase media-baja y los hombres libres de color y de raza blanca.

La Sociedad de Amigos Verdaderos, después de la Guerra Civil, formada después  de la Guerra Civil,  organizó un grupo de personas voluntarias,  para defense de los ciudadanos,  contra el terror de los Caballeros del Ku Klux Klan y los Jinetes de la Camelia Blanca. Más tarde, la Sociedad  dejó de ser imprescindible para la seguridad de la población local y el grupo cambió, el objetivo de defensa mutua, por el de  de bienestar público; atendiendo a los enfermos, la planificación de las celebraciones locales y  las agendas sociales de la comunidad afroamericana.

En la década de 1920 y durante la Gran Depresión de los años 30, el edificio se convirtió en uno de los grandes salones de jazz de Estados Unidos, donde los músicos, destacados pero desconocidos en la época, que viajaba por los alrededores, tuvieran un espacio para tocar su música: Louis Armstrong, Fats Waller, Ethel Waters, de la Casa del ajenjo, Fat Pinchon y Cosechadoras de Detroit McKinney, etc. Ellos se presentaban en el escenario del salón, semana tras semana para entretener a la comunidad próspera.

Después de la Segunda Guerra Mundial, el edificio quedó inactive durante un tiempo Posteriormente, fue tilizado como una iglesia católica, en los años 50, convirtiéndose en un salón de bodas. Fue comprado y revendido varias veces a los hombres de negocios de la zona, antes de transformarse en las oficinas legales de Glenn Armentor en 1981.

Jefferson Street (Oak Street) 1900

Jefferson Street in 1900's - la rue Jefferson vers 1900 (Courtesy Lafayette Clerk of Court)




Share

On Facebook

On Twitter

With Messenger


Excerpt of
Gira de Edificios Históricos en Lafayette

View the complete tour with the BaladoDiscovery app for free on Android or iPhone/iPad