The community of the grey Nuns arrived in Nicolet on August 17, 1886 in the morning, Sister Youville (Aurélie Crépeau), Sister of the Sacred Heart (Octavie Beaulieu), Sister St-Eusèbe (Zéphirine Brodeur) and Sister Saint John of God (Hermine Bédard) of the Sisters of Charity in Saint-Hyacinthe (independent religious community established by the Grey Nuns of Montreal in 1840) leave the cradle of their religious life to found a house of charity in Nicolet.
Until the construction of the Hotel-Dieu was completed, the community opened a novitiate and organized home visits. On September 7, 1886 the sisters entered Hotel-Dieu. The hospital was ready to receive its first ill persons in 1889. Year by year, the list of many ill persons, disabled persons, destitute of all ages and all categories was getting longer. The building became too small and the sisters thought of building what will be called the Orphelinat-Hôpital du Christ-Roi because of the growing demand. Photo credit: BAnQ