First Chapel

First Chapel

In 1737, Joseph Fleury de la Gorgendière founded a parish called St-Joseph and was granted by Monsignor Dosquet a missionary for his new estate. The people needed a priest to encourage them in their hard life and help them with faith. A chapel was built within the manor, on the river's west side, near the bluff. The founder generously provided the chapel with a chalice, a ciborium, a sun, a Child Jesus and several ornaments still in use today. It is possible to see, on the current site, the cross built in 1937 to commemorate this chapel. It was illuminated 50 years later.

Source: "Nos belles des érables" book.


Parish Priests from 1738 to 1911

Parish priest: the parish organizer

Upon his arrival at the estate, Joseph Fleury de la Gorgendière was aware that colonization was only possible with a religious presence. At the time, the priest was acting as moral and spiritual support in the hard work of clearing a land as far from the city.

At the request of the new lord, a missionary was sent in 1737 to the new parish, which also served the two other estates in Beauce: Saint-François (Beauceville) and Sainte-Marie. A small chapel was quickly built near the current Saint-Joseph bridge in 1738.
The first missionary living on the premises was Father François Charpentier, Recollect (1737-1743), who celebrated the first christening (1738) as well as the first wedding (1740), and buried the first person who died (1739) at the estate.

Source: Virtual Museum Website, collection from the Marius-Barbeau Museum (early 20th century, 1915)


Mass on the Site of the 1st Chapel

Mass on the site of the 1st chapel, which took place as part of the celebrations of the 200th anniversary of Saint-Joseph.
From left to right:
Edouard Lacroix, Mrs. Lacroix, Jacques Taschereau, Cécile Aubry, Emile Perron, and behind him, Wilfrid Jacques, organizer of the 200th anniversary celebrations.

Source: Suzanne Poulin, Marilie Labonté and Isabelle Veilleux Fund, collection from the Marius-Barbeau Museum (1st half of the 20th century, 1938)


Mass on the Site of the 1st Chapel

Mass for the 200th anniversary of Saint-Joseph, on the site of the 1st chapel built in 1738.

Source: Suzanne Poulin Fund, collection from the Marius-Barbeau Museum (1st half of the 20th century, 1938)


Cross Commemorating the First Chapel

Cross built over the second century on the exact site of the first chapel.

Source: Book of the 250th anniversary (1st half of the 20th century, 1938)

Wayside Crosses

Our territory is home to 2 wayside crosses.  They symbolize the strong religious faith of a certain time.

Source: Unknown

Extract of
Saint-Joseph-des-Érables | MRC Beauce-Centre Heritage Tour

Saint-Joseph-des-Érables | MRC Beauce-Centre Heritage Tour image circuit

Presented by : Municipalité de Saint-Joseph-des-Érables

Directions to get there

Download the BaladoDiscovery app (for Android and iOS) and access the largest network of self-guided tour experiences in Canada.