Majorique Gilbert

Majorique Gilbert

Born on January 4, 1880, Majorique Gilbert was actively involved in his community's development. He owned a shoe factory, was a city councilman for 12 years, mayor for two terms, church warden of the parish corporation, justice of the peace and promoter of the Beauceville illuminated cross.
Shortly before his death in 1950, Mr. Gilbert offered his last house, located at 625 9th Avenue, to his son Joseph Gilbert.

Source: Archives from the Beauceville Cultural and Heritage Committee


Shoe Factory

The shoe factory, previously located on 9th Avenue, between Fraser Road and 91st Street, was established in 1925 by Majorique Gilbert and 5 other associates. Mr. Gilbert became the sole owner in 1942.

With its approximately 150 employees, the factory produced close to 900 shoes a day, sold throughout Canada and even in Jamaica. The factory shut down in 1971.

Source: Archives from the Beauceville Cultural and Heritage Committee


Shoe Store

While Mr. Gilbert operated a shoe store in Sherbrooke as of 1942, his son Louisda did the same in Beauceville in 1950.
Unfortunately, the Beauceville store was not spared by the hazards of the Chaudière River!

Source: Archives from the Beauceville Cultural and Heritage Committee


The Illuminated Cross

Shortly before his term as mayor, Mr. Gilbert was, in 1935, one of the very active instigators of the illuminated cross overlooking Beauceville at 175 feet higher than the Renault Boulevard.

Source : Archives from the Beauceville Cultural and Heritage Committee




Share

On Facebook

On Twitter

With Messenger


Excerpt of
Beauceville | MRC Robert-Cliche's heritage tour

View the complete tour with the BaladoDiscovery app for free on Android or iPhone/iPad