The soil in the area where we are is largely composed of clay deposits that can be used to make brick. Moreover, from the 17th century, the Drouin family of Château-Richer produced it in large quantities. It dominated the market at the time.
In 1912, the Brique Citadelle plant moved to Boischatel near the Montmorency Falls, to benefit from the hydroelectric power available nearby.
Brique Citadelle employed up to 150 workers before closing its doors in the early 1990s.