Auberge Baker has been welcoming visitors and tourists for more than eighty years. The ancestral building, built in 1840, was a modern construction at the time.
Only nearly a century later, in 1935, would the home be transformed into an inn, at the initiative of Alvin Baker, who rented the building before purchasing it in 1958. To the delight of visitors, Baker reportedly had a pet bear! Following the death of Alvin Baker in the early 1960s, “The Baker’s Inn” was run by his second wife Lucienne Hamel, before being taken over by various successive owners.
Picture: Alvin Baker and his bear. (Auberge Baker. coll. of the Centre de généalogie, des archives et des biens culturels de Château-Richer).