Château Masson is the first name borne by the majestic building of the Collège Saint-Sacrement. When her husband died, Seigneur Joseph-Masson, first Quebec millionaire, Madamde Sophie Raymond Masson decides to achieve one of their dreams and build a house reflecting their social rank. She sought the services of Pierre-Louis Morin and those of a mason, Pierre Chapleau, to undertake the construction, which began in 1848.
The original plans of the castle contained only one floor, but given its large size – 125 feet long by 75 feet wide – that gave it the impression of flatness. They quickly adjusted the plans by adding a second floor. An iron fence surrounds the enclosure of the building. Made of carved stone, the manor architecture demonstrates great attention to detail by its ornaments and the integration of the straightest lines.
The Masson family moves to the mansion at Christmas 1854. At the time, of the couple’s eight children, three are already married and two are abroad to study. Madame Masson moves into this huge house with her three youngest children and her staff. For thirty years, Château Masson is the meeting place for the religious as well as the political crowd. Very generous by nature, Sophie Raymond-Masson is involved in various projects and social works.
The Château was bequeathed to the Sisters of Providence upon the death of Madame Raymond-Masson in 1883, at age 84, an honorable age at the time. It will then be converted to the Hospice of Sainte-Sophie for ladies of high society, a position it held for four years. Unfortunately in 1888, the sisters realize that the legacy had become more expensive than profitable. They decide to return the house to Sophie Masson’s estate.
The property remained unoccupied for nearly fifteen years. In 1902 it was bought by the Fathers of the Saint-Sacrament, who make it a school. Since then, the Collège Saint-Sacrement has been offering quality high school education here.