Bell Inn, 3515 Cape Road
The Bell Inn, a single story stone Colonial building was built between 1811 and 1821, making it one of the oldest stone buildings in New Brunswick. It first served as an inn, and went through various owners until 1858 when it was sold to William Hickman, who ran it as an inn and stagecoach stop on the ‘Great Road’ between Saint John and Halifax. When the stagecoach era ended in Dorchester, Hickman turned the inn into a private residence and headquarters for his far-flung shipping and trading enterprises. Over the last several years it has operated as apartment units along with commercial spaces.