The Rockland High School is considered a local historic site given its architecture and its important role in educating the community.
In 1906, this impressive building was home to the first high school in Rockland. This project was achieved through the many efforts of Priest Pierre-Siméon Hudon, William Cameron Edwards, Laurent Pouliotte and Dr. Martin Powers with the Ontario Ministry of Education.
The building was erected in 1905 and opened in September 1906. This high school in Rockland was considered a pilot project as one of the first bilingual schools in Ontario. There were three classrooms, one lab and a library. The school provided education to a little over 90 students in the region from grades 9 to 12. The school was divided into two levels: Lower School for grades 9 and 10 and Middle School for grades 11 and 12. After completing each of these levels, students received a diploma recognized by the Ontario Ministry of Education. From 1905 to 1932, the principals were all English-speaking. From that point on, all principals were French-speaking.
In 1961, L'Escale, a new high school was built. The former high school closed its doors after 56 years and the building became Rockland’s City Hall and now the City of Clarence-Rockland City Hall.