Baptist Church and cemitery

2197 Old Highway 17

In 1824, John Edwards, travelling pastor from Scotland, founded the Baptist church in Clarence, and played a big role in the establishment of the Baptist congegration on both sides of the Ottawa River. Around 1850, with the help of some residents, he built the Baptist church for his community.

2197 Old Highway 17

In 1949, a fire destroyed the general store and John Wilson’s residence spread to the church located next door. The roof and the interior of the church were destroyed. However, the church was rebuilt the same year, on the same foundation and using the same walls.

2197 Old Highway 17

The old baptist church is now named Tent of David. This picture was taken in 2017.

2639 Old Highway 17

The Tucker family, buried at Clarence Cemetery.  

2639 Old Highway17

Tombstone of James Fox and his wife Marie Des Anges. They were the first pioneers of Clarence Point.   

2639 Old Highway 17

The grave of the Edwards family, including those of John Edwards (founder of the baptist church) and the parents of William Cameron Edwards (founder of Rockland) can also be found.

Baptist Church & Clarence Cimetery

This church is considered a local historic site given its age and its religious significance within the community. The church is still open, almost 200 years after its construction.

In 1824, John Edwards, travelling pastor from Scotland, founded the Baptist church in Clarence, and played a big role in the establishment of the Baptist congegration on both sides of the Ottawa River. In 1825, with the help of some Clarence Point residents, he built the Baptist church for his community. In 1829, Edwards baptized Stephen Tuckey in the first baptism by immersion. At the time, baptisms took place in the Ottawa River at the end of Chemin Dallaire.

In 1949, a fire destroyed the general store and John Wilson’s residence spread to the church located next door. The roof and the interior of the church were destroyed. However, the church was rebuilt the same year, on the same foundation and using the same walls. The closing of the Edwards mills in 1926 resulted in a sharp decline of the English-speaking population and many English-speaking churches and schools had to close their doors.

The Clarence Point cemetery was located 2 km east of the church, at the intersection of Old Highway 17 and Ramage Road. Several tombstones of Clarence Point pioneers can be found there such as those of James Fox and his wife Marie Des Anges. They were the first pioneers of Clarence Point. Arriving in 1790, they settled at Fox Point, located behind the cemetery, and opened a trading post.

Other Clarence Point pioneer families are also buried at the cemetery, including members of the Tucker family. The grave of William Edwards and his wife, the parents of William Cameron Edwards, founder of Rockland can also be found.



Excerpt of
Clarence Point & Clarence Creek's History

View the complete tour with the BaladoDiscovery app for free on Android or iPhone/iPad