Emigrating from the United States in the middle of the 19th century, the Tucker Family moved to Clarence Point. The family members worked for the local industry and were very involved in the lumber industry. The Clarence Creek Village is located on Stephen Tucker’s land, who previously used his land for logging and cutting trees. Once all the trees were cleared, Stephen sold his land to newcomers arriving from Quebec.
The Tucker Family owned a brickyard, a cheese plant,a dairy farm and a general store. The general store was located on the road that once linked Ottawa and Montreal.
As a wedding gift, Stephen Tucker Sr had this house built for his only son, Stephen Tucker Jr. A Montreal architect designed this Georgian-style house and construction was completed around 1870. Aside from the porch and balcony at the front of the house, the owners have maintained the original look.
The foundation blocks for the house (1.5 m thick) were extracted from the limestone quarry located nearby. The house’s main area included a full basement with an earth floor. Marine fossils could be found in the limestone blocks, highlighting the site’s natural history. The property also included two barns made of limestone, both of which still stand on their original foundations.
The Tuckers were devoted Baptists. The house belonged to many generations of Tuckers and later, the descendants left the property to the local Baptist congregation as a testimony of the faith and legacy of Stephen Tucker Sr.
The Tucker house now belongs to an independent charity and its members organize a summer camp for kids. A typical camp day includes environmental, artistic and sport activities. Aside from the learning and educational activities, a community program dedicated to agriculture was developed. The Tucker house is also a retirement centre for groups and also hosts the Green Gala.