3951 Schnupp Road
These properties are recognized for its pioneer family that occupied it and for the rural family physician who was well known in the community.
Doctor Moïse Gendron, M.D., son of Léon Gendron and Zoé Hurtubise, was born on October 22, 1899. Moïse attended the small school on Concession 3 and then completed classical studies at the University of Ottawa College. In 1925 he attended the Medical Faculty of the University of Montreal where he received his diploma. The following year Moïse married a young Nursing student, Aline Gouin, born in St-Gabriel-de-Brandon, they met as they were both enlisted in health programs. They gave birth to eleven children, some born in Northern Ontario and others in Bourget, after which they welcomed a nephew in the family. For a long period of time, Dr. Moïse Gendron was the sole physician in the surrounding communities and that is why we still meet aged residents who can claim that he was the attending physician at their birth.
Early in his career as a young physician Doctor Gendron practiced in Chelmsford, Sudbury and Noëlville. During that period, between 1926 and 1938, he was Coroner for the District of Sudbury as well as Medical Officer of Health at the Health unit of Chelmsford, Maitland and Cosby. When he returned to his native Bourget village in 1938, he built a beautiful home for his large family, it also served as his clinical study, laboratory, pharmacy as well as an office in which citizens came for a consultation on various matters – social and political. In 1962, the family home is converted to a nursing home, called Gendron Nursing Home. To-day it is the Bourget Nursing Home operated by Caressant Nursing and Retirement Homes Limited.