Engraved in the lintel stone of the red brick building are the words “Hôtel de Ville”, French for “City Hall” and in the cornerstone, the date of construction – 1906 – is engraved. The St. Boniface coat of arms is located in the entrance of the building.
It appears that during the construction of the building, Horwood changed the original design to save money on the construction of the tower. Two years after the construction, not satisfied with the look of the tower, the municipal counsellors insisted that it be replaced so as to resemble the architect’s original design.
The interior has a few interesting details: a double staircase, pressed-tin ceilings and painted wood trim. The council meeting chamber was on the main floor. The mayor’s chair was on a pedestal surrounded by the counsellors’ chairs on the floor.
The offices of the Chief of Police, the Civil Engineer and the City Public Works Foreman were also located on the main floor. The residence of the Chief of Police and of his assistant was located on the 4th floor. The Courtroom and seven jail cells were located in the basement. In 1966, construction of the new police building was completed and, in 1967, a new municipal civil service complex was completed on the east side of City Hall.
In 1997-1998, the building underwent a renewal costing 1.2 million dollars. The first clock is finally installed in the tower, the exterior is restored and the interior renovated.