Since the fall of 2007, the Manoir de la Cathédrale Manor is a residence for seniors. It is located on the former site of the Académie Saint-Joseph (St. Joseph Academy), which was also the convent of the Sisters of the Holy Names of Jesus and Mary. Many elements of the convent have been preserved in the old section as well as the addition of a new section.
Académie Saint-Joseph (St. Joseph's Academy)
The actual building, built in 1912 by Joseph Sénécal, opened its doors as a school for girls in September of that year. It was also the residence of the Sisters of the Holy Names of Jesus and Mary. After 55 years as a school and convent, the Academy closed its doors in 1967. The east wing of the building was used for some time as the Centre culturel de Saint-Boniface where Le 100 Nons, a francophone music association and the Cercle Molière, a theatre company, and others were located until they moved to the new Centre culturel franco-manitobain at 340 Provencher Boulevard. In 1971, this wing was demolished while the west wing remained as the residence for the Sisters of the Holy Names of Jesus and Mary until 2005.
Gabrielle Roy at the Academy
A picture of a graduating class at the Académie Saint-Joseph in St. Boniface in 1928. This is the only known photograph of Gabrielle Roy (bottom row, middle) during her years as a high school student.
Centre culturel de Saint-Boniface
A photograph of the section of the Sisters of the Holy Names of Jesus and Mary Académie Saint-Joseph where the Centre culturel de Saint-Boniface was located.