Archbishop’s Residence, St. Boniface
151 de la Cathédrale Avenue
Before the construction of the Archbishop’s Residence, there was a stone presbytery built in 1838. Less than a year later, the Industrial School, housed in a wooden structure, is destroyed by fire. Bishop Provencher moved the school in his presbytery so that it could continue its operations. He lived for a while in the sacristy of the church while a new presbytery was built. This building was attached to the Cathedral and was destroyed along with the Cathedral during the fire of December 14, 1860.
The Archbishop’s Residence is composed of two 2,400 square foot sections. Each section has a basement, a first floor, a second floor and a liveable attic. The two sections are oriented in the form of a “T”. Today, the Archbishop’s Residence is the home of Bishop Albert LeGatt, Archbishop of St. Boniface since 2009.