The St. Boniface Hospital
400 Taché Avenue
On April 24, 1844, first Sisters of the Grey Nuns congregation left Montréal in two Hudson’s Bay Company canoes. After a 59-day trip, they arrived in St. Boniface. They established a hospital in 1847 in their convent. In 1871, the Sisters opened a stand-alone four-bed hospital near the Red River, on the site of the actual St. Boniface Hospital.
From 1877 to 1938, the Hospital moved several times and added on to serve more people. It went from a health establishment with a capacity of 10 patients, to 50, then from 50 to 125, and from 125 to 300. Today, St. Boniface Hospital is one of Canada’s most prestigious medical research centres with amongst the most modern installations in the medical field.