The former Villa d’Howard

1978, chemin du Village

The villa

For many, the house at 1978 chemin du Village recalls the site of the famous Villa d'Howard, a landmark in the township's history. While some may have stepped into the dance hall on more than one occasion, others remember spending their honeymoon there.

Photo : View of part of the house on the Villa d’Howard estate, 2023.

Source : Société d’histoire de Saint-Adolphe-d’Howard, Tom Silletta, photographer.

Main facade of the villa

Photo : Main facade of Villa d’Howard, facing chemin du Village, date unknown. 

Source : Bibliothèque et archives nationales du Québec, photographer Cliché Verdier & Fils.

Rear view of the villa

We owe the development of this highly touristic site to Dr. J.-Anselme Lamarrre, who graduated from the Faculty of Dental Surgery at the Université de Montréal in 1928. In the 1940s, he acquired a number of lots on the shores of Lac Saint-Joseph. The doctor and his wife Thérèse Ritchot, he a choirmaster and she an organist, built a large stone-panelled villa and small pavilions that served as cottages. All surrounded by a large stone rampart that can still be seen today. 

Photo : Rear view of the cottages to the right of Lac Saint-Joseph from the former Villa d'Howard, date unknown

Source: Bibliothèque et archives nationales du Québec, photographer Cliché Verdier & Fils.

The Miami of the Laurentians

Nicknamed the 'Miami of the Laurentians', Villa d'Howard is renowned for its festive entertainment, with a luminous fountain, musical windmill and cinema.

Source : Ad published in the Radio Monde newspaper, Montreal July 13, 1957.

Vers Saint-Adolphe en autobus.

Tourism was so popular in Saint-Adolphe d'Howard that in 1948, the Compagnie de transport inaugurated a charter route to Saint-Adolphe.

In 1953, Arthur Garinther invested in a ski lift to the summit of Mont Sapin, which later became Mont Avalanche, to attract winter tourists. 

Source : Article published in Le Devoir, May 22, 1948. 

The end of a beautiful dream

On the evening of September 9, 1967, a fire ravaged a large part of the hotel, which was never rebuilt. The main building and eight chalets were sold in 1970. The site has since been returned to private use.

Extract of
Saint-Adolphe-d’Howard Heritage Circuit

Saint-Adolphe-d’Howard Heritage Circuit image circuit

Presented by : Municipalité de Saint-Adolphe-d'Howard
Get There

Download the BaladoDiscovery app (for Android and iOS) and access the largest network of self-guided tour experiences in Canada.