The Railway Station from Past to Present
The current railway station was built in 1927 in Lac-Mégantic. At this time, an important flow of passengers and goods went through the town’s railway station. The citizens used to gather there to look at the military convoys passing through during the war. The railway station has always been a gathering place.
In 1996, the building was designated historical by the Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada. In 2007, the town purchased the building and renovated it in order to offer various activities.
The historical railway station remained inaccessible almost two years after the tragedy of 2013. Activities, such as the opening of the Bureau de reconstruction, resumed in 2015.
Today, a public piano is available for amateur and professional musicians. Citizens join together for activities and events at Place Éphémère. The public market is now located at the railway station and it is open on Saturday. The Incroyables Comestibles have installed vegetable gardening boxes available for everyone. Since summer 2019, two exhibitions take place: “La solidarité au cœur de notre mémoire” (Solidarity, the soul of our memories) and “Sur les rails du temps” (On the rails of time).
The railway station is a meeting point for citizens and visitors.