Women on Campus

École Normale (Normal School)

Built in 1931, Hagen Hall served as the home of The École Normale, which was founded in 1927 and prepared francophone students to teach in the elementary schools of Ontario. At the top of the main entrance, notice the University of Ottawa’s previous coat of arms.

[Image: Fonds 9, PHO-NB-19-125, Credit : Studio C. Marcil]

Women on campus

While the first women on campus were the religious sisters who did the cooking and laundry, programs such as the School of Nursing, The École Normale, and the School of Home Economics, brought more and more women on campus to study. Today women study in all departments and the majority of the student population is female.

[Image: Collection 38, NEG-NB-38-2857, Credit: Unknown]

Religious Sisters

The smaller grey stone building connected to Tabaret Hall was constructed in 1920 and was, for a number of years, the home of the Little Sisters of the Holy Family, who were responsible for housekeeping at the University.

[Image: Collection 38, NEG-NB-38A-3-189, Credit: University of Ottawa]



Excerpt of
Tour the Historic Quad of the University of Ottawa

View the complete tour with the BaladoDiscovery app for free on Android or iPhone/iPad