George McKay House

53 Principale


Overall view of property

In this picture you can see the wood sidewalks at the front and side of this magnificent house, adorned with some very fine details.

Today

Over the years, this house has retained its authentic character and continues to be well maintained. Notice the widow’s walk on the roof.

Text Version

The architectural lines accentuate the verticality of this voluminous two-storey brick and wood Queen Anne Revival house. It features exceptional details, such as its circular porch with columns, a false truss roof and the mix of materials. The asymmetrical construction stands out for the many details attesting to a certain creativity and artistic sense. Notice the wood ornamentation, the Greek temple style balcony on the second floor, and the rooftop platform, also known as the widow’s walk.

George McKay, who had the house built in 1903, only used it for a few years before selling it to Thomas Ritchie, who owned a sawmill with his brother. Located at the corner of Principale and Dalhousie, the property was surrounded by a wood sidewalk. Typical of the period, the backyard had a vegetable garden, chickens, a cow, an orchard, a stable, barns and a shed.

Extract of
Old Aylmer Historical Tour

Old Aylmer Historical Tour image circuit

Presented by : Musée de l'Auberge Symmes et l'Association du Patrimoine d'Aylmer

Directions to get there

Download the BaladoDiscovery app (for Android and iOS) and access the largest network of self-guided tour experiences in Canada.