Haileybury’s Millionaires’s Lane still stands out for its opulent mansions, overlooking the lake. These houses, built at the beginning of the 20th century, show the flourishing opulence of the place following the discovery of silver and cobalt mines. These were once owned by managers, mine prospectors and forestry contractors.
Legend has it that a blacksmith, Fred Larose, tossed his hammer at a fox that was pestering him as he worked. When he retrieved his hammer, he noticed a strange-coloured rock that would eventually be analyzed and found to be silver. That occurred 8 km from here and the area would be named Cobalt, a mining town back in the day. In 1905, mine development began and prospered to such an extent that, by 1909, there were 12,000 more people in the area.
Prospectors became interested in potential mining opportunities in Kirkland Lake, Porcupine, Timmins and Rouyn-Noranda. During Cobalt’s silver rush, twelve of Canada’s 35 millionaires settled here, mainly on Lakeshore Street, while others helped expand the towns of Haileybury and New Liskeard.