Sixteen Island Lake Protestant Church source: Sixteen Island Lake Union Church, www.16islandunionchurch.ca
Ludington Point is named after its original owners, Tracy Ludington (1851-1928) and his wife, Mary M.Baker Ludington. In 1905, they built their second home there, named 'Liberty Hall
Tracy Ludington was a businessman who was very involved in the lake community. He was the first president of the Sixteen Island Lake Fishing Club and a generous benefactor to several charities and foundations, including the Old Brewery Mission, the Western Hospital and the Grace Dart Hospital in Montreal. In 1906, he built a lodge on his property for the Protestant residents of the lake, a 'Union Church'.
At that time, the United Church did not yet exist and some small Protestant communities gathered around a single church that hosted pastors from different denominations: Methodist, Presbyterian and Congregational. It should be noted that Protestant places of worship are not consecrated, which allows believers to meet in the places of their choice for prayer.
Nearly one hundred worshippers attended the Sunday services held during the summer. Upon his death, Tracy Ludington willed the lodge and grounds to the church on the condition that summer services be continued there. Although attendance has declined over time, residents are still attached to it and a board of a dozen trustees oversees its preservation.