St. Georges Hotel

St. Georges Hotel

St. Georges Hotel.

The original house, built in 1859 by its owner, master carpenter Louis Dubé, had only one and a half stories. When Euclide Lamoureux purchased the house in 1908, he added another story and converted it into a hotel, complete with a dining room, a ballroom and all of the amenities of the day, giving the Hotel St-Georges Victorian airs. 

Photo source:
Yves Lebel Collection


Facade and dining room of Manoir Cacouna

Facade of Manoir Cacouna, around 1948, and the dining room in the sixties.

After modernizing the hotel and renaming it Manoir Cacouna in 1938, Léon Dionne continued to take in guests.

Photo source :
Léon Dionne Family Collection


Léon Dionne with his workers

Léon Dionne with his workers.

Until 1955, he operated a small pipeworks in sheds built out back, employing some 30 workers. More than 1500 pipes per week were made.

Photo source :
Léon Dionne Family Collection


Families on vacation in Manoir Cacouna log cabins

Families on vacation in Manoir Cacouna log cabins could enjoy a wonderful natural environment.

After World War II, the shores of the St. Lawrence became more popular than ever as a vacation spot. Log cabins could be rented for a modest sum, and many Québec families spent their summer holidays admiring the scenery, playing sports and swimming in the majestic river.

Photo source:
Léon Dionne Family Collection


The Manoir Cacouna tennis court and snack bar

The Manoir Cacouna tennis court and snack bar, around 1947. In the background, some twenty log cabins were built along the cliff leading to the beach.

The Dionne family did not overlook sports enthusiasts: in July 1947, they built a tennis court near the small decorative windmill that greeted travellers. For ten years, their neighbour Louis-Philippe Perron leased the facility from June to September. Helped by his eldest son Yvon, he maintained the court, painted the lines and put up the net.  Players could get a bite to eat at the snack bar, or rent rackets and balls if needed. And after a good match, a nice cold soda pop was always welcome.  

Photo source:
Léon Dionne Family Collection


The Manoir Cacouna log cabins

The Manoir Cacouna log cabins, near St. James the Apostle Church.

Léon and Juliette Dionne set up their hospitality business in the early 1940s. In the wooded area behind their hotel, they had rustic log cabins and a dining hall built. Another set of cabins was added a few years later, and a large terrace was built at the top of the cliff, offering exceptional panoramic views of the St. Lawrence. They even kept a few deers in a large enclosure next to the path leading down to the beach. 

Photo source:
Photo: René Pelletier (Lavoie Photo enr.), Léon Dionne Family Collection
Manoir Cacouna Hotel and Cabins pamphlet.




Excerpt of
The Extended Tour

View the complete tour with the BaladoDiscovery app for free on Android or iPhone/iPad