The Lebel Ancestral Home

View the complete tour The Extended Tour with the BaladoDiscovery app for free on Android or iPhone/iPad

The Lebels’ Farmhouse, on the south side

The Lebels’ Farmhouse or Hicksons’ Summer Cottage.

During the summer vacation, the farmer’s dwelling would become the vacationer’s cottage. The farmers would provide water and wood for their tenants. Some built a tennis court or croquet ground, or even a pathway to a bathing hut. Towards 1880, Joseph Hickson, general manager of the Grand Trunk Railway Company, had two small annexes built onto each end of the Lebel’s house, at his own cost.

Photo source :
Drawing : Eugene Haberer, detail from a St. Lawrence Hall pamphlet of 1901, Musée du Château Ramezay Collection (Card #15, Illustrated Cacouna, 2001)


The Lebel Ancestral Home, around 1900

The Lebel Ancestral Home, around 1900.

According to the registry of landed property for 1825, Jean-Baptiste was one of the first 167 original landowners of the LeParc seigniory.  A few years later his son, Hyacinthe, built a large farmhouse and all the necessary outbuildings.  Six generations of Lebels have lived in this house over a period of 150 years. Over the years, this old farmhouse, with its flared eaves typical of houses in the Kamouraska region, was renovated to suit the needs and tastes of the owner as well as those of summer tenants.

Photo source :
Photo : Musée du Bas-Saint-Laurent, Belle-Lavoie Collection


Horse races in a field

Horse races in a field.

Horse races were run in a field just south of the Lebel residence.  Spectators followed a fenced lane to the west of the house leading to the track.

Photo source :
Photo : Archives Nationales du Québec, Livernois Collection
Insert : A Morning Chronicle ad