Waiting for the next vessel.
In the middle of the 20th century, the privileged position of the Gros-Cacouna peninsula and the proximity of deep water were taken into consideration for a project for a new port. Starting in 1957, numerous discussions took place between people of the community, which led to studies of the area being carried out by the federal government. Budgets were voted on and finally work was undertaken in 1964. The bay of the port was dredged and the stone necessary for the construction of a breakwater was extracted from the cliff. The port, however, remained unfinished for several years following uncertainties concerning its vocation and location.
In 1972, there was talk of converting the port into an oil terminal. Finally, the project became the subject of a political issue. Three years later, the government of Quebec, with Robert Bourassa, and Jeanne Sauvé in Ottawa pledged their support. Work recommenced to install a quay and construct storage. Hence in 1980, Gros-Cacouna welcomed its first vessel, Le Bellea, which had come to collect a cargo of newsprint.
Aerial view of the port: Yvan Roy