The first Cacouna Golf Club Book of Records, dated 1901, but covering first activities of 1899, reveals some interesting facts about the beginnings.
« CACOUNA GOLF CLUB
To meet a long felt want, the above Club has been organized, ground has been leased and prepared, so that play can be begun at once. The site is beautiful, and in time excellent links will be obtained. The initial expense has of course been considerable, but it has been thought wise to make the membership fees as moderate as possible, not more than other clubs similarly situated.
Gentleman’s Fee for Season : 7,00 $
Lady’s Fee for Season : 4,00 $
Boy’s, under 18 years for Season : 4,00 $
Cacouna, June, 1899 »
We can also read this little mention : « It was unanimously resolved that the Rev. Canon Bolduc be elected a permanent honorary member of the Cacouna Golf Club at a meeting held on the 28th August 1899. »
On the right page of the Book Keeping Records’ photo above, we can notice that, sooner in May, the Rev. Canon Bolduc assisted members of the Golf comittee « to lease part of the farm from a certain farmer named Louis Lebel for $150 per annum for 5 years with a further privilege of 5 years more. » The owner being French Canadian and Canon Bolduc, bilingual and very familiar with all the farmers, we understand easily that his presence was of great help and why the Comittee wanted to thank him officially.
Photo source :
Book Keeping Records : Private collection of David and Valérie Shannon