François-X Tessier, Parish Priest

François-Xavier Tessier, Parish Priest

Mr. François-Xavier Tessier, originally from Beauport, was Beauceville's parish priest from 1852 to 1886. During his term, the population went from 2,874  to 4,181 inhabitants in 30 years, a significant increase at the time. Because of his tact and determination, he played an important role in Beauceville' religious history.
He put back 11 schoolhouses in operation, initiated the negotiations for the construction of a hospital, had a new presbytery built and, above all, the current church.

Source: Archives from the Beauceville Cultural and Heritage Committee


The Current Church

The first stone was blessed by parish priest Tessier in 1857. 165-foot long and 70-foot large, the church was entirely blessed in 1857 and delivered on that same day. Renovations and extensions were made inside the church since that time. It is Beauceville's fourth church.
Free

Source: Archives from the Beauceville Cultural and Heritage Committee


L'église et la rivière

Its strategic location near the bridge, set by parish priest Tessier in 1855, makes the church vulnerable, in front of the Chaudière River.

Source: Archives from the Beauceville Cultural and Heritage Committee




Share

On Facebook

On Twitter

With Messenger


Excerpt of
Beauceville | MRC Robert-Cliche's heritage tour

View the complete tour with the BaladoDiscovery app for free on Android or iPhone/iPad