The First Chapel

Chapel of Métabetchouan

During the winter of 1874-75 the Oblates of Métabetchouan Trading Mission were plannign to move the chapel they had built in 1859. They sought to locate it better and join more of the faithful. 

In winter, the community of Pointe-Bleue welcomes an unusual load: horses drag immense pieces of cedar an entire bell tower on the Pekuakami ice. Missionaries assisted bye some  Pekuakamiulnuatsh then undertake to assemble the old chapel of Métabetchouan on the Uapakalu Street, at the height of the current railway. 

Chapel now has an elevation and a panoramic view of the Pekuakami.

Extract of
Heritage Circuit on Ilnu’s Path

Heritage Circuit on Ilnu’s Path image circuit

Presented by : Société de développement économique Ilnu

Get There

Download the BaladoDiscovery app (for Android and iOS) and access the largest network of self-guided tour experiences in Canada.