Frédérick Richer Farm
In 1861, Michel Richer obtained from the Crown the eastern half of lot 13, concession 3. At the time, the land was covered with trees. He cut down trees to build a log cabin and farm buildings and, with the help of his sons, cleared the 100 acres that became the farm. Frédérick Richer inherited his father’s farm and married Rose-Anna Labrèche in 1901. The old log cabin eventually no longer met his needs so he built this new house which was completed in 1927.
In 1939, Frédérick transferred the farm to his son Eddy. Eddy ran the farm until 1950 and then sold it to Omer Guindon. Following a heart attack, Mr. Guindon decided to sell the farm. Léo Chartrand purchased the farm in 1959. For 5 years, his son Robert oversaw its operation with his brothers. In 1964, Robert married Jacqueline Masse and bought the property. Over the years, they renovated the buildings, built 3 silos and purchased additional land. In the 1990s, his first born, Mario, settled on the farm.
The Dutch architectural style of the barn is very rare today and the only one of its kind in the City of Clarence-Rockland.