When he died in 1708, Bishop de Laval was buried in his cathedral.
Over time, the exact location of his tomb seems to be forgotten. In 1878, during excavation work, workers dug up several Bishops’ graves, including Bishop de Laval’s coffin. His remains were taken to the Séminaire de Québec, the same year, to respect his vow to be buried in his Séminaire, vow which was not respected back then, due to the fire in the chapel of the Séminaire in 1705.
In 1950, the representatives of the Séminaire decided to move François de Laval’s tomb in a mausoleum adjacent to the exterior chapel of the Séminaire de Québec, to promote a better public access to his tomb.
When the exterior chapel became closed to the worship, building a new chapel was taken into consideration, this time inside of the Notre-Dame de Québec Cathedral.
The achievement of the works we can see in the funerary chapel of Saint François de Laval started in November 1992, under the supervision of the architect Emile Gilbert who called on the artists Jules Lasalle and Marion Ducharme. The construction of this chapel was entrusted to the firm Hervé Pomerleau Inc. The costs were paid entirely by the Séminaire de Québec.
The opening of this chapel was chaired by Bishop Maurice Couture, Archbishop of Québec, during an Eucharistic celebration on May 29, 1993.