Wilfrid-Gratton General Store

1965, chemin du Village


The store

The former W.-A. Gratton general store is located at 1965 Chemin du Village. Barnabé Leblanc and his wife Virginie Ouimet moved into the house after the First World War. They opened a general store.

Photo : The former W.-A. Gratton general store, 2023. 

Source : Société d’histoire de Saint-Adolphe-d’Howard, Tom Silletta photographer.


Adélard Gratton

Young Adélard Gratton, adopted by his aunt Arzélie Gratton and her husband Wilfrid Lajeunesse, arrived in Saint-Adolphe at the age of 12. He married Marie-Louise Filion in 1907, but died in 1929.

Photo : Marie-Louise Filion and Adélard Gratton

Source : Le Présent du Passé, Saint-Adolphe-d’Howard 1883-1983        


The general store around 1930

In 1931, his son Wilfrid Gratton married Adrienne, daughter of Clodimir Corbeil, a former general merchant and owner of the former Hôtel Minto in Saint-Adolphe. The couple bought Barnabé Leblanc's house and transformed it to extend the ground floor. The result is a larger space for the store. The work was carried out by Roméo Millette and his son Arthur, who were responsible for most of the houses in Saint-Adolphe-d'Howard. In the same year, the Grattons obtain approval from the town council to sell beer in their store.

Photo : The Gratton general store, with its large triangular gable and gas pumps.    

Source : Société d’histoire de Saint-Adolphe-d’Howard.


The general store around 1940

After the Gratton family sold the business, several owners took over, including the restaurant Casse-croûte Le coin, incorporated in 1969. This business operated until the late 1980s. The Pic-Assiette restaurant took up residence here for several years.

Photo : W.-A. Gratton general store, around 1940.

Source :  Société d’histoire et de généalogie des Pays-d’en-Haut. 


The store and its gas pumps

At the time, it housed more than just a grocery store and a telephone exchange. Two gas pumps served customers, most of whom were tourists.

Photo : Jean-Guy Gratton et Denise Pigeon, date inconnue

Source :  Société d’histoire de Saint-Adolphe-d’Howard. 

Gratton & Frères, general contractors

Wilfrid Gratton held the position of parish mayor and was elected mayor of the municipality from 1945 to 1951 and from 1955 to 1959.

Wilfrid's sons Adolphe and Maxime Gratton began building in and around Saint-Adolphe.  They built the old fire station in 1947 and the present-day Saint-Adolphe presbytery in 1952.

Photo : Ad for Gratton & Frères, general contractors.

Source : Le Devoir, May 22, 1948.

Extract of
Saint-Adolphe-d’Howard Heritage Circuit

Saint-Adolphe-d’Howard Heritage Circuit image circuit

Presented by : Municipalité de Saint-Adolphe-d'Howard
Get There

Download the BaladoDiscovery app (for Android and iOS) and access the largest network of self-guided tour experiences in Canada.