Beauchamp House

1929, chemin du Village


The house

This house was built in Francistown, a long forgotten Saint-Adolphe housing development where the Canadien National had plans to build a right-of-way towards Saint-Adolphe as part of the railway line to Lac-des-Seize-Îles.

The project, managed on behalf of the Central Railway Company of Canada, was to serve the Armstrong sawmill. However the project never came to fruition and the sawmill closed. As a result, some of the houses were bought and moved further west.

Photo : Beauchamp House, 2023. 

Source : Société d’histoire de Saint-Adolphe, Tom Silletta photographer.

From Francistown to downtown Saint-Adolphe

One of the houses acquired from Morgan Road, near Lac Sainte-Marie, was moved to Village Road on one of the lots where Alphonse Beauchamp and his wife Malvina Bourque, married in 1874, settled around 1877.

This type of two-storey house generally housed a business on the first floor, while the occupants lived upstairs. 

Conveniently located in the village, the first floor was also used as a laundry, a hairdressing salon, a real estate agent's office and a restaurant.

Rosaire, son of Hotel des Pins owner William Beauchamp, operates Chez Pit restaurant with his wife Cécile Doré, on lot 42, where La Soupière inn stood from 1956 until the building burned down in 1992.

Photo : Reconstructed house on Chemin du Village, date unknown.

Source : Municipality of Saint-Adolphe-d’Howard.

Extract of
Saint-Adolphe-d’Howard Heritage Circuit

Saint-Adolphe-d’Howard Heritage Circuit image circuit

Presented by : Municipalité de Saint-Adolphe-d'Howard
Get There

Download the BaladoDiscovery app (for Android and iOS) and access the largest network of self-guided tour experiences in Canada.