RUE SAINT-JEAN - 2010
In 1913, MGR Bruchési blessed the expansion of the Mont-Rolland mill during a pastoral visit. He granted permission to build a chapel. Fathers Parfait Michaud and J.A. Bolduc became the first priests to serve under Father Armand Paiement of Sainte-Adèle.
In 1914, the trustees elected to oversee construction of the chapel were: Jean Rolland, mill plant manager and Sainte-Adèle municipal counsellor; Ovila Proteau, merchant and postal worker; Moïse Deschambault, innkeeper; Lambert Beauchamp and Aurèle Lanthier, mill bookkeepers. Construction of the chapel was slotted for a plot of land given by Jean Rolland, who had got it from his father.
The architectural plans were drawn by Wilfrid Fillion of Saint-Jérôme at the cost of $4,755. Sacerdotal ornaments came from a merchant in bankruptcy. The Rolland family supplied wood, tools and manpower to build the church. A family member donated the organ and a painting of the Sainte-Famille. Chairs were placed in the nave and the first mass was celebrated on Christmas Day. The consecration of the chapel was performed by Mgr Martin. A raffle organized by Father Paiement from Sainte-Adèle raised $2,000.